Monday, April 17, 2017

To loudspeak Azaan or not

I guess every Muslim would agree that azaan on loudspeaker is not mandatory. If our non-namazi neighbors have a problem they are well within their rights to urge the law to intervene and restrict loud noise from public blaring. Some people even complain of day long migraine if awoken abruptly in the early morning hours. Out of love for followers of other religions and  cohesion in society we can only desire tolerance but not demand it forcibly.

I remember growing up in Gorakhpur in a heterogeneous locality where Hindus, Muslims and Christians lived together sharing city space. More than I remember waking up to azaan in the morning - inevitable all five times because we lived by our family mosque, I also remember listening to Anoop Jalota bhajans for about an hour before dawn. This was repeated at dusk too but not to the same effect on my heart because neither the atmosphere in the city din was clear enough to let it reach me nor was my heart dampened by the failures of the day fresh and supple to receive it. Nevertheless, I actually loved the bhajans. I still Humm the tunes. I still recall the lyrics. Even, now whenever I hear those bhajans I can't help but smile and cherish because they are reminiscent of my growing up days. The days we term as golden.

There was no question of detesting either the azaan or the bhajans because with or without them I had to wake up for a crazy science and math coaching class that began at 5 am sharp. So be it the song or the call, both were actually a respite taking my mind off the pressure of fulfilling my parents dream of becoming a doctor.

That was about me. What about the others? It was a large family of people in all age groups some of whom were suffering from diseases too, but no one ever objected or grumbled to loud noises - neither five time a day for 2 - 3 minutes nor twice a day for an hour. May be the azaan people let the bhajan people be and vice versa for the spirit of coexistence.

Moreover, there were no azaans on PA systems at the advent of Islam in 6th century Arabia. The Prophet asked his African fellow Muslim Hazrat Bilal (AS) - whom he had freed from the clutches of his dreaded slave master, to climb on a height and give the call for prayer. Still the Sabri brothers have sung out beautifully in their classic qawwali:

Arsh wale bhi sunte the jisko
Kya azaan thi azaan-e Bilali

In many western countries like UK no religious processions or rituals are allowed to create noise pollution by raising decibels including azaans. Few exceptions are there of areas like Luten where the County has given a no objection certificate taking into account the view of the citizens.

Incidentally, majority of the Luten residents are Pakistanis/Bangladeshi and they would rather love azaan than detest it. So it is a 'to each it's own' solution and Muslims in India should not consider it a threat to Islam if they are disallowed from calling for prayers on loudspeakers. In UK the  Muslim population has grown to over 15% and still counting. On Fridays the mosques are packed to capacity without loudspeaker calls for prayers.

Having said that, the point I underscore humbly before any august platform is that when the law takes its course in a secular democratic country - it should apply equally to all communities.

No comments:

Post a Comment